As we continue to develop and optimize our programming, we will update this page throughout the summer as plans and guidelines become finalized. Our main concern is for our residents to be safe and have a productive residency. Please check back frequently.
How will I be notified if Open Wabi cancels a session due to COVID-19?
Open Wabi will notify all residents 30 days prior in the event that a residency session was to be canceled. Residents would receive a full refund or the option to reschedule.
In the event of unforeseen circumstances under 30 days prior to a session, such as the state of Ohio enforcing regulations that would deny travel, limit the gathering of crowds, or implement an advised quarantine, residents would be refunded and notified within 48 hours.
In the event that the above were to take place during a residency session, residents would be notified by residency directors and asked to make arrangements to vacate premises within 48 hours. If the resident would need more time to make travel arrangements, Open Wabi would work with individual residents to accommodate their schedule. The residency fee would be prorated and refunded within 14 days.
Open Wabi shall not be responsible for the cost of any change in a resident’s travel arrangements (pre, during or afterward); such as flights, hotels, rental cars, etc.
Will facial coverings (masks) be required?
Open Wabi staff will follow current Ohio Department of Health requirements regarding masks.
A mask is required for artists-in-residence in situations where social distancing is not possible. For example, in common areas, masks would be necessary if you are not alone. Residents should use their own best judgement. Residents must follow current Ohio Department of Health requirements when going to public places or area businesses.
Will masks be provided?
No, Open Wabi will not provide masks. Artists-in-residence are required to bring their own masks.
How many Covid-19 cases have been reported near Open Wabi?
So far, our county has a low number of confirmed Covid-19 cases (we are in a fairly rural area). But, we definitely want to keep it that way. You can see current local stats and info here.
Can anyone attend an Open Wabi residency this summer?
If you have an underlying medical condition, such as lung disease, asthma, heart condition, severe obesity, diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease, or are immune compromised, we ask that you do not attend a residency at Open Wabi in 2020.
What about social distancing requirements?
Open Wabi will follow current requirements from the Ohio Department of Health. They currently include:
- Maintaining 6 foot distance between individuals
- Providing hand sanitizing products
- Regularly cleaning high touch surfaces
What other specific measures are you taking?
- There will be no more than 10 people in a residency group, including staff. Typical residency sessions have between 4-7 artists (no less than 4).
- Staff will perform a daily symptom assessment and stay home if symptomatic.
- Residents are also required to perform a daily symptom self-assessment. If they are symptomatic, they will be quarantined and sent home as soon as possible.
Prior to Arrival
- Artists should monitor their temperature and health for 14 days prior to arrival. If an artist has a fever of 100 degrees or higher or any other Covid-19 symptoms, such as cough or shortness of breath, they are not permitted to attend and should contact Open Wabi with their cancellation. All residency fees will be refunded.
- If the artist has been in close contact with anyone who has tested positive for Covid-19 or is suspected of having Covid-19, they are not permitted to attend and should contact Open Wabi with their cancellation. All residency fees will be refunded.
What will happen when I arrive?
- Residents will sanitize hands before entering.
- Residents will have their temperature checked upon arrival. If any individual has a temperature of 100 degrees or higher, they may not enter the facility.
- Residents will fill out documents including language and guidelines related to preventing the spread of Covid-19.
- All artists-in-residence will have their own sleeping area (bedroom, cabin, or campsite).
- Sleeping quarters will be cleaned prior to arrival.
- Artists-in-residence are responsible for cleaning their own sleeping areas while at Open Wabi.
- Artists with bedrooms have their own air conditioners. There is not a shared HVAC system.
- Artists in cabins are provided with solar powered lights and fans.
- Artists-in-residence will have their own large, private studios (320 to 250 square feet).
- Studios are separated by walls.
- Social distancing is required and encouraged in the studio area.
- Residents are responsible for cleaning their own studios while at Open Wabi.
- It is recommended that the sharing of equipment and supplies be limited.
- There is no air conditioning in the studio building. Fans are provided to each resident.
- Open Wabi staff will clean bathrooms in the morning and evening. Cleaning supplies will also be provided for artists-in-residence to clean surfaces between uses.
- Bathrooms are to be used by 1 person at a time.
- Open Wabi staff will clean the kitchen in the morning and evening. Cleaning supplies will also be provided for artists-in-residence to clean surfaces between uses.
- Residents are responsible for making their own meals. It is recommended that meal preparation be staggered.
- Upon arrival, Open Wabi will provide residents with their own plates, cups, utensils, and cleaning supplies. Paper and disposable products may also be provided.
Can I bring my own cooking or cleaning supplies?
Yes, artists-in-residence may choose to bring extra cooking or cleaning supplies for themselves. We recommend taking any precautions that make you feel more comfortable.
What programming changes should I expect?
- Communal meals: Open Wabi typically serves a buffet style dinner on Sunday evenings. This will be replaced by Open Wabi ordering local take-out for residents on Sunday evenings, which will be served in individual packaging.
- Field Trip: Open Wabi typically takes artists-in-residence on a group field trip. This may either be cancelled or modified in accordance with the comfort level of current artists-in-residence. If residents do take part in a field trip, they must comply with Ohio Department of Health requirements at their destination.
- Pay it Forward Project: Open Wabi residents typically take part in a group project to improve the Open Wabi property for future residents. This may either be cancelled or modified in accordance with the comfort level of current artists-in-residence.
- Airport Drop Off or Pick Up: Open Wabi will not be providing any transportation to or from the airport. Residents must make their own arrangements using services such as Uber, Lyft, etc.
What if I get sick while at Open Wabi?
If any artist-in-residence becomes ill while at Open Wabi, they must immediately go home. They will not be permitted to stay at Open Wabi. Please be sure that you have arrangements for someone to come get you if this were to happen. If the artist-in-residence has had contact with someone confirmed or suspected of having Covid-19, he or she must remain in quarantine in coordination with their local health department. Residency fees will not be refunded.
What will Open Wabi do if there is a confirmed case of Covid-19?
- According to the Ohio Department of Health, we must:
- Immediately notify the local department of health of any staff of resident who has tested positive for Covid-19.
- Immediately isolate and seek medical care for any individual who develops symptoms.
- It is recommended that, if possible, work with the local health department to identify potentially infected or exposed individuals to help facilitate effective contact tracing/notifications.
- It is recommended that, if possible, once testing is readily available, test all suspected infections or exposures.
- It is recommended that, if possible, following testing, contact the local health department to initiate appropriate care and tracing.
- We will also communicate with current artists-in-residence as soon as possible and deep clean common areas.
- Remaining residents may choose to stay at Open Wabi or leave their residency session early. However, residency fees will not be refunded. Open Wabi is also not responsible for any additional travel fees.
Is Open Wabi liable if I contract Covid-19?
By attending Open Wabi, artists-in-residence understand that they are attending at their own risk. Open Wabi will not be held liable if an artist contracts Covid-19.